Design class curriculum (Music Teacher)
Brought to you by:
Content written by:
9 June 2021 at 2:40:50 am
Given a given fixed amount of time, how can we maximise the student's learning outcome?
Using the right tools and methods, here are some good practices you may adopt;
1) Setting criteria by;
i) Identifying core competencies for the students to thrive in the music industry
ii) Balance between;
- Theoretical vs. individual unique ideas on music writing techniques
- Conventional vs. Risk-taking music style
iii) Imparting competencies over theories by;
- Guiding them to apply techniques and concepts
- Teach them how to identify similarities and differences in music
2) Identify who my students are and do a profiling of incoming batch. This will help me plan for a curriculum best suitable for the class. The objective is always to ensure the topics can be interpreted, understood, and mastered.
3) For a total of 30 teaching weeks per year, each chosen topic will cover 4 to 5 weeks and be different every year. I will design the learning based on;
i) Central theme across all topics; (Music and Literature) that can transcend chronological history and train students to see things from different perspectives, generations, and mindsets
ii) Knowing that students have little foundation knowledge, I ensure the curriculums are easy to understand and not complicated to comprehend slightly difficult ones
iii) Interpretation and aural skillsets that could be acquired and used throughout the whole academic year
4) Some lesson will focus on the following;
i) Helping them to identify and cover skill sets critical to their instrumental abilities
ii) Interpreting different scenes in a play and the music used
iii) Ask about the intention of the composer and their plots
iv) How to assemble research and findings to provide evidence to prove a statement
You may also like
We did our best to provide you with thought-through content. However, there lies a possibility of variation we might not capture. It is your responsibility to consider before taking our advice for action. As a continuous improvement, this page will be updated whenever a new insight is visible to us.
If you wish to contribute, kindly contact us by clicking here!