Prototyping (Mechanical Design)
Brought to you by:
Content written by:
9 June 2021 at 2:39:27 am
Once your design concept is ready, it is time to prototype
This process helps us identify errors that we are not able to capture in the CAD software. Here, we identify the good practices;
1) For easy to purchase parts, we will source from online e-commerce platforms such as RS-Component, Digi-key, Element14, and Amazon.
For bolts and other components that we can get locally and cheaply, we will do so.
2) For items that require fabrication, for example, chassis, wheel adapter, and brackets, I will;
- Create 2d drawing from created 3d models and label with part number, indicate the manufacturing process, which includes dimensions, tolerances, welding, bending, cutting. A BOM list is necessary.
- Request for Quotation (RFQ) from 3 different suppliers if the price is predicted to be above SGD 500 depending on your company. (usually termed as 3 quotes).
3) Once all items are ready, assemble, test fit and analyse. What you should look for are;
i) Hole alignments between interfacing components are correctly done
ii) Space optimisation
iii) Safety in functionality and how to reduce operational risks
iv) Cables and wirings are routed neatly with ease, holes to mount electrical and electronics components are correct.
Depending on your company's culture, get an electrical engineer in your team to handle this since they are more familiar with their work
4) Test the system rigorously in the environment you need it to be. You should capture any errors in your mechanical design and propose improvements later on.
5) If your design is the cause of error for electrical and electronic components, such as mounting and securing, you will need to rectify them.
Usually, there is a "first article" design which means to fabricate first prototype for error catching.
Subsequent prototyping are feature refinement based on feedbacks by relevant stakeholders
When we do product demonstrations to prospects, we will also receive feedbacks on how to improve the features to the market needs.
You may also like
We did our best to provide you with thought-through content. However, there lies a possibility of variation we might not capture. It is your responsibility to consider before taking our advice for action. As a continuous improvement, this page will be updated whenever a new insight is visible to us.
If you wish to contribute, kindly contact us by clicking here!